We arrived in our new location, 10 miles north of the Golden Gate bridge on August 28th, excited for our week long stay. We were close to the Larkspur Ferry terminal so that's how we got into the city. We added a 7 day Muni pass for all other transportation and we went almost 'car less' for 9 days!
- The cable car is the only MOVING National Historic Monument in the World.
- Marilyn Monroe married baseball star Joe Di Maggio in San Francisco's City Hall in 1954.
- The steepest street is not Lombard. Filbert St. between Hyde and Leavenworth Streets is even steeper at 31.5 degrees. We know because we hiked it!
- Twain never uttered the quote, “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”
- San Franscisco outlawed burials in 1901. Most of its cemeteries are in Colma, California. There, the dead outnumber the living by over 1000 to 1.
- The Chinese fortune cookie was invented by a Japanese resident of San Francisco. You can visit the Fortune Cookie Factory in Chinatown to sample their wares.
- When Al Capone was at Alcatraz, he gave regular Sunday concerts with the inmate band, the Rock Islanders. He played the banjo.
photo link here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskHL7FBb